About Me

My photo
North Augusta, SC, United States
I am an otherwise very healthy and active woman who was shocked with a sudden medical condition in 2010 and decided to write about my experiences in hopes that it will help at least one person possibly be diagnosed and treated without having to go through the medical maze I went through! If you are an ADULT with chronic ear infections and can't get any answers, ask your ENT to rule out a CSF leak!!!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Seven Weeks Post Surgery

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Tomorrow will be exactly seven weeks since my brain surgery.  I am amazed at how fast you can recover from brain surgery!  I started driving again 2 weeks ago.  Then I started a walking program to get my stamina and endurance back.  I did that for a couple of weeks before I started back to the gym. 

I am now back in the gym full swing.  I did weight training last week for the first time (light weights, more repetitions.)  Then I did a spin class for an hour (did not think I would finish, but I did!!)  This week I have added Pilates one night and plan to try Zumba one night.  I have been pleasantly surprised at what I can do for the most part, and try not to focus on what I can't do, because I know it will all eventually come back to me with some work.

The hearing loss in my right ear is still a problem.  I have an appointment scheduled with the neurotologist March 2nd and will get an audiogram (hearing test) done then.  He should be able to tell me what my options are for hopefully restoring my hearing.  I still have the tube in my ear.  The only problem with it is that I am not supposed to get water in my ear.  Unfortunately we're going to the Caribbean March 19th and I had really hoped to have it out by then.  I am thinking that's not going to happen!

I have some residual Bell's Palsy, which you cannot see to look at me, but I can feel.  My right eye won't tear and it is a little painful.  Still can't open my mouth wide because the muscle they cut in the surgery also controls the jaw.  That should improve with time.

My wound has healed nicely and I can thank my surgeon for being nice enough to leave some hair to cover it so I would not have to have a shaved head for everyone to stare at!  I know, not many brain patients are lucky enough for that, but I was. 

The brain surgeon has released me and now, I am just under the care of the neurotologist.

Again, I can't believe how far I have come in 7 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment