About Me

My photo
North Augusta, SC, United States
I am an otherwise very healthy and active woman who was shocked with a sudden medical condition in 2010 and decided to write about my experiences in hopes that it will help at least one person possibly be diagnosed and treated without having to go through the medical maze I went through! If you are an ADULT with chronic ear infections and can't get any answers, ask your ENT to rule out a CSF leak!!!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Brain Update 12-9-10

Today I was pleasantly surprised by a physician...Dr. Oyesiku from Emory called me at 10 am to tell me he had already reviewed my scans with the neuroradiologist and the neurotologist and they agree, I need a lumbar puncture to test my cranial pressure and then a cisternogram (type of MRI with contrast medium injected into the spinal fluid) to visualize the leak better.  (Not looking forward to this.)

His ear guy, Dr. Doug Mattox at Emory, does not necessarily agree with the assessments of the other ear guys and wants me to come in (even though I previously refused, I will now.)  He may be able to offer a mastoid approach to the surgery which would be through the ear and bones of the ear rather than the skull. The one concern with that is hearing loss and he says I may not necessarily lose my hearing with that approach.  So that's positive.

Waiting on Emory to call me back to schedule the lumbar procedure and appointment with Dr. Mattox.  Hoping that will be the last of the diagnostic work and THEN I can move forward with one approach or the other!

Very impressed with how quickly Dr. Oyesiku did what he said he was going to do.  Although he didn't call my ear guys...

No comments:

Post a Comment