About Me

My photo
North Augusta, SC, United States
I am an otherwise very healthy and active woman who was shocked with a sudden medical condition in 2010 and decided to write about my experiences in hopes that it will help at least one person possibly be diagnosed and treated without having to go through the medical maze I went through! If you are an ADULT with chronic ear infections and can't get any answers, ask your ENT to rule out a CSF leak!!!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Neurotologist Apt Update 3-2-11

I had an audiogram (hearing test) and saw my neurotologist today.  Hearing is about the same as last time.  He won't be able to know my real hearing level until after he removes the tube. Will schedule surgery for that in April.  I will have to go under general anesthesia but it should be quick.  He will remove the tube and do a patch immediately to promote healing of the eardrum. 

In the meantime, I have to continue to avoid getting water in my ear.  I told him that is going to be a BIG PROBLEM when I go to St. Martin in 3 weeks!!!  He agreed that I could use a silicone ear plug and he sold me an Ear Band-It which I will have to use to get in the water.  It will just look like I have on ear warmers when I am swimming!!  I am sure it will be cute (NOT!)  He also prescribed me antibiotic drops to put in my ear should any water accidentally get in.

As for my residual palsy, he said it was definitely related to the surgery. My right eye still won't tear and he told me to continue to use drops hourly and a gel at night.  There is no way to really tell if that will come back, but if it does it could be months.

Lastly, he looked into my nose and said the swollen turbinates and bloody discharge are probably due to some minor irritation or injury from the surgery (tubes in nose when asleep?)  He did not think it was anything serious.  He recommended sinus rinses, antibiotic ointment, and AYR gel (saline gel) in my nostrils.

So, I'll schedule the surgery when I come back from my birthday trip and after that, we'll see how my hearing shakes out and if there is anything that can be done to improve it.  But if that's all I have to deal with after all this, I consider myself one lucky girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment